Participates in emergency and non-emergency response, training, public education and maintenance for facilities, apparatus and equipment. Serve internal and external customers while maintaining exemplary character qualities including, integrity, trustworthiness, professionalism, dedication and ethics.
Employment Application Requirements
- Citizen of the United States or have Resident Alien Status.
- Minimum of 21 years of age.
- High school graduate or approved equivalent.
- Must demonstrate the ability to perform all required job functions and successfully complete a minimum physical/agility test as set forth by the City of Bixby and the Oklahoma State Firefighters Pension and Retirement System.
- Pass a background investigation.
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma state driver’s license and a driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier. (any valid driver license is acceptable for application purpose, valid Oklahoma driver license required for employment)
- Must possess an EMT Basic certification
Employment Selection Process
- The first step of the selection process will be the general knowledge written exam.
- Applicants that complete the written exam with a score of 70% or better will advance to the Physical portion of the exam.
- Applicants that meet the requirements of the physical exam will advance to the interview panel.
- Upon completion of the selection process and background check, applicant will take the State Pension Board Physical.
Physical Exam: (The following activities are subject to change)
- Run - The candidate shall complete one and one-half (1 ½) mile run within thirteen (13) minutes.
- Sit-ups – The candidate shall complete thirty-five (35) bent knee sit-ups within two (2) minutes.
- Push-ups – The candidate shall complete twenty-five (25) standard push-ups within two (2) minutes.
- Balance Beam – The candidate, given a fire hose weighing approximately 20 lbs., shall walk the length of a 3-4 in. wide beam a distance of 20 ft. while carrying the hose, without falling off, or stepping off the beam before completion.
- Weight Carry – The candidate, given a weight 125 lbs., shall lift the weight from the ground and carry the weight 100 feet without stopping.
- Lower Back Dexterity – The candidate, starting from an erect position with feet shoulder width apart, shall bend over and pick up a 15 lb weight positioned 12 in. outside the right foot from the floor. The weight shall be lifted to the waist and lowered to the same location outside the left foot. When raising weight to the waist, candidate shall demonstrate lower back flexibility by straitening back to original erect position. Repeat this motion seven (7) times in less than 35 seconds.
Oral Screening Board Interview:
Applicants qualifying for this step shall successfully complete a structured oral board interview with Bixby Fire Department personnel.