News Flash

Public Works

Posted on: March 1, 2023

Low Income Home Water Assistance Programs (LIHWAP)

Oklahoma Department of Human Services Logo

Oklahoma Human Services (OKDHS) will begin accepting referrals for the Low-Income Home Water Assistance Programs (LIHWAP) crisis program only effective Tuesday, March 7, 2023. This federally funded program helps income-eligible families with their water utility bill that is in crisis.


Water customers who have been turned off or will be turned off within 72 hours, contact the Energy Assistance Contact Center staff at (405) 522-5050. A LIHWAP crisis referral can be completed over the phone. 


Customers when call they will need to provide the following information:

  • The specific name of their water provider. 
  • The client’s case number and name.
  • The client’s phone number. 
  • The client water utility account number. 
  • The date of cut off for the water. It must be within 72 hours or already cut off.  



LIHWAP is a one-time program that was created and funded under the Consolidated Appropriations Act and American Rescue Plan Act. It provides funds to assist low-income households with water and wastewater bills.


The water crisis program provides assistance with a one-time payment per fiscal year for: 

  • households who meet the income and resource guidelines outlined in the LIHEAP program and
  • have a verifiable water crisis, disconnected service or will be disconnected within 72 hours, and
  • the public drinking water or waste water company is a participating provider (Bixby Public Works Authority is participating). 


In order to receive LIHWAP, the public drinking water or wastewater company must be a participating provider. Benefits for eligible households must be issued to a participating water or wastewater company. Benefits cannot be issued directly to the eligible household.



Only one payment per year, per household are allowed for each program. LIHWAP payments must be applied to the water or wastewater bill. Authorized payments may not be applied toward other services, such as trash, cable or other services. 


“Household” is defined as individuals living under the same roof with one utility meter.


Native American households may apply through or through their tribal nation. Tribal households cannot receive assistance from both OKDHS and their tribe during the same federal fiscal year.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Public Works